My Procrastinations

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Four years on and Goleo

Well the World Cup 2006 in Germany has just started. Now that I am back in Malaysia and the host nation is in Europe, that means a lot of sleepless nights and zombie days. Even Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary-General, wrote an article of how the UN envies the World Cup. Of course his team is playing at the tournament.

For those who are unawares, I support Deutschland. Have been a Deutschland supporter before I was even interested in Liverpool FC. Maybe it's the tiddly Bavarian blood in me but crosses, headers, good defense, being well-organised and ruthlessly efficient attracts me at a primitive level.

Imagine my dilemma when Michael Ballack joined Chelsea. One of my favourite
Deutschland player and he's playing for Chelski. Would I feel the need to watch every Chelsea match Ballack plays in? Well, we will have to see when the new EPL season starts.

Under Jurgen Klinsmann, the Deutschland team plays flowing attacking football. With the lack of naturally wide players, the fullback goes forward every chance they get. It is fun to watch but my heart goes into palpitations when the opponent attacks. Will have to see how they fare as the tournament progresses, I guess.

Well, I hope
Deutschland will progress well, I had blocked out the trauma of 1998 until I saw the 1998 World Cup documentary recently. And if Deutschland have to loose, they would loose more like in the Confederation Cup last year to Brazil rather than the defeat to Croatia in 1998.

As for World Cup souveniers shopping, I will wait until the World Cup finishes. I still have my 2002
Deutschland keychain, cap and jersey. All I should have bought cheaper after the World Cup. As for now my little McDonald Goleo will keep me satisfied... and no, you can't have it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home